Dodgers RBI Field Champion Youth Baseball/Softball Coaches
Up2Us Sports, in conjunction with the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation (LADF), announces an opportunity for young people to give back to their communities as coach mentors for underserved youth in the Dodgers RBI (Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities) program throughout Los Angeles. Up2Us Sports Coaches will serve as AmeriCorps members and will be placed, trained and supported to provide sports-based youth development (SBYD), and will coach baseball & softball at various Dodgers RBI sites to be determined. All applicants must have prior baseball and/or softball playing or coaching experience in order to be considered for a position.
- Serve as Field Champions and as Ambassadors for the Dodgers RBI program
- Encourage participants to gain and develop life skills, knowledge, and techniques through sport
- Perform data collection activities as needed
- Act as a role model, gaining the respect and trust of the community and youth served
- Attend/participate in Up2Us Coach monthly trainings, meetings, and special initiatives
- Maintain regular communication with the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation staff
- Work with Dodgers RBI Affiliate Partners to ensure all coaches are registered on League Apps system
- Create and circulate game schedules and events calendar to Affiliate Partners
- Attend all Dodgers RBI Affiliate Partner coach/parent meetings throughout the Dodgers RBI season
- Comply with LADF site training and guidance for program implementation
- Maintain knowledge of and implement Up2Us Sports SBYD training strategies and techniques
- Incorporate opportunities to recognize, practice, and develop competence in the Up2Us Sports High Impact Attributes (life skills for healthy decision-making) during sport activities
- Communicate with Dodgers Foundation staff for upcoming events and updates to the program
- Support program beneficiaries and recruitment efforts
- Be available from February 8 – August 31, 2020 (Term of Service)
- Members must be U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent residents
- Members must be 18 years old, with high school diploma or GED.
- Members must consent to a background check performed by Up2Us Sports. The term of service is always contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check. The results of state and FBI criminal history background checks and national sexual offender checks through the National Sex Offender Public Registry Website (NSOPW) are considered.
- Members must commit to the entire term of service (see above)
- Members must have access to consistently reliable transportation (e.g., personal vehicle or public transit)
- Military Veterans have priority status for this position
- Prior baseball and /or softball playing or coaching experience a must
- Ability to work with youth ranging from 5-18 years of age
- A focus on helping youth become successful young people
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- A commitment to improving conditions and providing opportunities for all youth
- Expresses commitment and excitement to a year of service in the community by coaching youth sports
- Values making connections with people (especially youth) and building relationships
- Able to encounter challenges with a solution mindset and remain optimistic despite setbacks
- Has flexibility and adaptability in work style and in work environment
- Can manage a dynamic “work” schedule with other jobs, personal responsibilities, school, etc.
- Able to meet deadlines and complete tasks/projects on-time
Compensation/ Benefits (dependent on 80% of completed hours per pay period)
- AmeriCorps Living Allowance 450 hours = $3575 ($275 paid bi-weekly)
- End-of-Service Education Award 450 hours = $1612 (paid after completion of term)
- 30+ hours of research-based training and professional development
- Sports-Based Youth Development Certification
Typical Physical & Mental Demands
- This position requires sufficient physical ability and mobility to enable the member to effectively organize and supervise youth activities. Up2Us Sports provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and members as required by law. Applicants with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation at any point in the employment process.
Who We Are
Up2Us Sports is the first national service program to challenge young people and adults to give back to their communities by committing to coaching and mentoring underserved youth. These coach mentors are improving communities by using the power of sports to inspire kids to stay in school, stay out of trouble and stay healthy. Up2Us Sports is building a workforce of highly trained coaches equipped with the skills necessary to face the challenges and opportunities of working with underserved youth in Los Angeles and around the country. (For more information see www.up2ussports.org)
Dodgers RBI (Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities) is a baseball/softball youth development program of the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation. The program is for ages 5-18 that simultaneously aims to: increase participation in the sport and use sport participation as an engagement tool to increase access to education, literacy, health, wellness, and recreational resources in some of Los Angeles’ most underserved communities. Dodgers RBI is bigger than baseball and focuses on youth character development as it engages communities and families in programming.